A queen-size bed is one of the most common sizes for a mattress. It’s bigger than a twin-size bed but smaller than the standard king-size bed. Queen beds are great not only for couples who have different sleeping styles but also for people who share a bedroom with roommates of different sizes or children.
Queen size bed is created to fit two adults comfortably however it can accommodate up to three grown adults on it at once. The average weight recommendation of an adult on this mattress is 250 pounds per person.
When deciding what kind of new bed will suit you best, you have to consider a lot of factors.
Mattress Sizes and Dimensions: Which Bed Size Is Right For You?
For the most part, it is up to you and your partner what mattress size you would like. Although there are industry standards for certain beds, such as a twin bed being a 39 by 75 inches mattress, many people prefer larger or smaller mattresses. In some cases, however, you may need a larger bed because of medical concerns.
Who Will Sleep In the Bed:
If one person in a relationship is significantly larger than the other, then you may want to consider purchasing a king-size bed. If two people of very different sizes sleep in a queen-size bed, they will probably find themselves constantly bumping into each other throughout the night.
Your Room Size:
If you have a very small room, then buying a larger bed may leave you with less floor space. On the other hand, if your bedroom is large enough to fit multiple beds side by side, then buying two twin beds may be an option for you instead of one queen bed.
Your Body Size:
The first step to knowing whether or not you should purchase a king, queen, or twin size mattress is to know your body measurements.
If you are taller than average for your sex, then try using the chart for men’s heights instead of women’s heights. This way you will be able to determine what size bed fits best based on the measurements of your body.
If you are on a tight budget, then you may want to consider purchasing twin-size beds instead of queen-size beds. Prices for each bed will vary based on the material, but you should be able to find a decent standard mattress set for around 350-700 pounds.
Different people sleep in different ways, so this is also something that you should take into consideration when purchasing your new mattress.
If one person tosses and turns all night while the other likes to sleep in one position the entire time, then they might not get enough rest on the same sleeping surface.
This is why it’s usually best if two people who tend to change positions frequently purchase two twin beds rather than one king or queen bed. Some people also prefer to sleep on a sofa bed because it has more room and they can stretch out.
Common Bed Sizes UK
- Single: 3′ 0″ x 6′ 0″ (90cm x 180cm): Suitable for children and teenagers.
- Small Single: 3′ 6″ x 6′ 0″ (110cm x 180cm): A good choice for a child or teenager who has just moved into their own bedroom.
- Small Double: 4′ 6″ x 6′ 0″ (140cm x 180 cm): Also known as standard double, this bed is suitable for two people sharing one room.
- Double: 5′ 0″ x 6′ 6″ (150cm x 200cm): This size of the bed is suitable for adults only, if both partners require extra space opt for queen mattress dimensions instead.
- Queen: 5′ 6″ x 6′ 6″ (170 cm, 200cm) : The most popular bedsize, suitable for two adults sharing a room.
- King: 6′ 0″ x 6′ 6″ (180cm, 200cm): The king-sized bed is perfect for when you need extra space and is suitable for couples who don’t mind having less personal space in their bedroom.
- Super King: 6′ 6″ x 6′ 6″ (200 cm, 200cm): This mattress is large enough to accommodate most families; it is suited to those who like to spread out in their sleep and need extra sleeping surfaces.
Queen-Size Bed Size: How To Make Sure You Have Enough Space
If you have a room with limited space, it may be difficult to accommodate a queen-size mattress. In some cases, you may not have enough floor space for even full or double beds.
In this case, you might want to purchase a twin mattress and place it on top of an existing full or a standard double bed frame.
This can help give your bedroom better organization while still allowing everyone who sleeps in the room to have enough space.
- In general, a queen mattress is the best option if you don’t mind sleeping close to your partner.
- They are still wide enough so that you won’t feel as though you’re constantly being rolled on top of by your partner, but they’re also narrow enough so that two people can sleep comfortably on them.
- Queen size beds come in various sizes and styles. Some have tall headboards while others have low ones or none at all.
- You can even get a California king mattress that is slightly longer than a regular queen-size bed.
- A good rule of thumb for determining how many people can sleep comfortably on a mattress is to figure one person per five inches of width of the mattress. For example, a 60-inch wide mattress should be able to comfortably accommodate two people.
- However, for even more sleeping space and luxury, you might want to consider purchasing a 72-inch wide queen-size mattress. This is comfortable enough for three people, but still narrow enough that it shouldn’t feel crowded.
If you’d like to purchase a 72-inch mattress but don’t have room in your bedroom for the full 72 inches, then consider purchasing one which measures 60×84 inches instead.
This is slightly smaller than 72 inches but will make up for the lost space by being longer.
Twin vs. Single Bed: What’s the Difference?
It’s not easy to decide on the perfect mattress because of the countless options available in most department stores.
There are some key differences between a twin-size mattress and a single-size mattress, depending on how you intend to use it.
For example, the queen-sized bed is slightly larger than the king-size bed dimensions, so they have enough room for more people.
Queen mattresses are popular among college students who share rooms with their friends, but they’re also good for couples who don’t want to feel cramped while sleeping next to one another.
Is There a Mattress Smaller Than a Twin?
If you have a small bedroom, one of the first things you’ll want to do is purchase a smaller bed.
While most queen size beds are 60 inches wide, there are some that are as little as 30 inches wide. This can help give your room more floor space for other furniture arrangements.
There are also twin-size bed dimensions of 38×75 inches which are perfect for tight spaces with poor ceiling height or limited floor space.
Is Twin XL The Same as Full?
No, twin XL is not the same as full. Twin XL mattresses have a larger frame to accommodate taller people; you can think of it as tall, long, and skinny.
A twin mattress measures 38 inches wide and 75 inches long.
Is a Full Bed Big Enough for Two?
A full-size bed is great for couples who don’t mind sleeping close to each other. A full bed measures 54×75 inches which are long enough for tall people and wide enough for two.
Full mattresses are also a popular choice among college students because they can actually accommodate three or four people in a pinch, depending on how tall the people are.
What Is The Size Difference Between Full and Queen?
The difference between a full and a queen size bed is two inches in width and six inches in length. A full-size mattress measures 54×75 inches while a queen-size mattress measures 60×80 inches.
This gives those who sleep on queen beds more space to move around as well as an extra room for activities such as reading, watching television, or folding clothes.
How Do You Measure a Mattress?
- If you want to know the measurements of a mattress, simply lay it out flat on any surface and place a tape measure along with the widest parts. This includes the side rails of twin-size mattresses as well as both sides of full, queen, and king-size beds.
- Then double that number for your total width measurement in inches; this is then how wide your bed is. For example, if your bed measures 80 inches across on each side, then it’s 160 inches wide (80 x 2 = 160).
- Then double the length of your mattress again to determine its overall dimensions; this does not include headboards. For example, if your twin-size bed measures 38×75 inches (38+38=76& 76+75=151), then it’s 151 inches long (151 x 2 = 302).
Is It Hard to Measure a Mattress?
Yes, measuring a mattress can be difficult. To ensure that you’re getting an accurate number, lie the ruler on one side and use your weight and arm strength to stretch it as far as you can before standing up straight again.
Repeat this several times until you feel like you have stretched the tape measure as much as it will go without breaking or slipping out of place.
Then look down at where your ruler is positioned and take note of this measurement so that you know how much room there is between both sides; this is the total length of your mattress.
Queen Mattress Variations
Queen mattresses come in two different variations: soft and pillow-top. The difference is the way it’s constructed; a soft variation has smaller box coils, while a pillow-top mattress contains larger ones for more cushioning.
What Is The Comfort Level of Queen Mattress?
Both types of queen mattresses are comfortable; however, those with the pillow-top variation tend to be softer than those without one because they’re filled with down feathers instead of polyester fill.
If you like sinking into your mattress and lying on top of it instead of inside it like a cloud, then choose a pillow-top mattress over one that’s just plain firm.
Are There Different Types Of Pillow Tops?
Yes, there are two types of pillow tops: Euro and traditional.
A Euro Top is a thin, flat overlay with a standard thickness of one inch or less.
The fabric is sewn into the mattress cover to create an overall smooth appearance on both sides of the bed.
A traditional pillow-top has two separate layers; the second layer creates a four-inch pillow effect that goes against your body when you sleep.
Types of Bed Frames
Queen size beds can be purchased with different types of bed frames, which provide varying levels of support.
- A platform bed frame consists of a box-spring base topped by a solid wooden platform that sits directly on the floor. This type of frame is great for those who don’t mind sleeping close to the ground; however, if you’re shorter than 5’4″, then this could cause some discomfort because you’ll either be sleeping with your feet hanging over the edge or with your legs and back pushed up against the wall.
- A traditional bed frame includes a one-panel headboard and two side rails (one at the top and bottom). It has box springs that sit inside it as well as what’s called a center rail–the part that holds all the bed parts together, which can either be part of the headboard or a separate piece that sits on the floor. This type of frame is great for those who are taller than 5’4″ because it provides plenty of support from wall to wall.
- A metal bed frame is similar to a traditional one with two side rails and box springs, but its center rail is made from iron instead. They also have small brackets at the bottom where you attach wheels so that they can slide under your bed for easy moving purposes.
Platform Bed Frame
A platform bed frame has no center rail; it sits directly on the floor to provide a sturdy foundation for your mattress. Platforms come in different levels of support depending on what you need.
If you like sleeping high off the ground, then consider purchasing a box spring base (a more expensive option) or building your own platform by stacking several boards together.
If you’re shorter than 5’4″, then having an installed box spring base will eliminate any discomfort throughout the night because you won’t be pushed up against either wall or sticking out over the edge of the bed.
Sleigh Bed Frame
A sleigh bed frame has a curved headboard and footboard; the center section is called an undercarriage, which consists of rails that connect to both pieces.
This type of bed provides more support than a traditional one because it’s sturdier and wider. Sleigh beds are ideal for those who like sleeping close to the edge without falling out or having their feet hangover.
They’re also great if you have pets that sleep with you, as they won’t be able to easily climb over this type of bed and disturb your sleep.
Poster Bed Frame
A poster bed frame has a very tall and sturdy headboard and footboard that create a dramatic, yet elegant appearance.
They’re ideal for those who like feeling cocooned in their beds because the tall headboard acts as a canopy over your body, which provides you with privacy and security.
This type of bed also looks great in large bedrooms or master suites because it makes an impression without taking up too much room.
Storage Bed Frame
A storage bed is a platform style with drawers underneath for storing extra sheets, pillows, and so forth.
They have a very contemporary look to them and provide you with lots of support from wall to wall. If you’re shorter than 5’4″, then this type of bed might not be the best option because your feet will either hang over the edge or they’ll push up against the back wall when you lie down.
Bunk beds and loft beds are great for children because they provide the option of having a friend sleepover. They both have platforms at either end and several levels that create lots of open space underneath for storing toys, clothes, and other belongings.
A bunk bed also has rails on both sides so be mindful if you’re traveling with toddlers as they do pose a risk to those who climb up them without supervision.
Loft beds look similar to platform beds except there’s usually no headboard or footboard; instead, it’s all enclosed in one large piece that slopes down towards your mattress base.
Who Is a Queen Mattress Best for?
Queen mattresses and box springs are the most popular choice of bed for those living in dorm study rooms or studio apartments, as they offer more room than a twin mattress but take up less space than a king-size bed.
This type of bed is also ideal for couples who often have overnight guests because it can accommodate two people comfortably without them feeling crammed together.
What Are the Advantages of Owning a Queen?
Queen-sized beds provide you with lots of extra room to move around at night, which means no more waking up on your partner’s side by mistake!
They’re great if you like having plenty of space to toss and turn throughout the night
How to transport a Queen Size Mattress?
A queen mattress is significantly heavier than a twin, even when it’s in its box.
If you have trouble lifting heavy objects, try to get someone else with you when moving the bed into your apartment or onto the truck.
Stand along with your helper on top of the mattress with both ends in one hand and carefully roll it up to avoid straining back muscles
A queen mattress is a good choice if you prefer having lots of extra space to move around or if you often have overnight guests.
They’re also a good option for those living in studio apartments, as they take up less space than a king bed but still provide more room than a twin.
If you have trouble lifting heavy objects, then get someone with you when moving them.