If you are in the UK, you may think that finding the best latex mattresses for you is a challenging task. Most of us would have considered getting a memory foam or an innerspring mattress before going for one made from latex.
After all, we already know how good these two types of mattresses are, and they certainly don’t lack anything.
While both may give you a comfortable sleep, only a latex mattress will offer you complete comfort and support at an affordable price tag. This article explores why it’s essential to go for latex mattresses instead of two common ones.
Top 5 latex mattresses
1. Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign Mattress
The Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign has been made from a 100% natural Dunlop latex layer, a constituent of hevea milk, and this makes it both organic and non-allergenic.
These factors combined with the latest design technology have made this mattress a comfortable one to sleep on. It provides a good level of resilience that ensures you wake up feeling fresh.
This mattress also consists of a 3 zone spring system that gives your body the perfect support it needs for a peaceful night’s sleep. Additionally, it features open coil springs attached with helical wires to ensure maximum stability and durability while resting.
These springs are heat bonded together, so no protruding ends are sticking out from your bed, thus reducing rolling movements from one side of the bed to another.
- It doesn’t sleep hot
- It’s organic and non-allergenic
- It is very durable and is ideal for people who weigh more than 15 stone
- Has a unique shape that makes it suitable for people with back problems
- It is highly durable and will last you at least seven years or so.
- It may not be the best mattress for people who are looking to buy something cheap.
- The bed may be too firm for some people.
2. Sealy Nostromo Latex 1400 Mattress
The Sealy Nostromo is very comfortable, and its unique, resilient, open coil spring system gives it an edge over other memory foam mattresses.
Open coil springs have been woven together at strategic points to ensure optimum comfort and support no matter how much weight you have.
Also, the fabric used on this mattress has been designed to reduce movement from one side of the bed to another by up to 25%. This will ensure you get a peaceful night’s slumber without being disturbed constantly.
It also utilizes a bespoke cushioning technology that ensures your body gets enough comfort while sleeping by contouring your shape for maximum pressure reduction.
- It’s made from natural materials, so there are no allergens
- The mattress is very comfortable and has an excellent level of resilience to it.
- It gives you a more intimate sleeping experience as the sleep surface hugs your body.
- It is very durable, which means you won’t be needing another one for at least four years or so.
- It’s pretty expensive and may not be suitable for people with a limited budget.
- The mattress can be a bit firm for some people.
3. Silentnight Pocket Latex Mattress
If you are looking for a latex mattress with an innovative design, the Silentnight Pocket Latex 2000 could be the right one for you. It’s not only lightweight but also has a unique structure that provides effective pressure relief.
It has been made from pure natural Dunlop latex, which is about 32cm thick and comes with a foam encasement to ensure firmness and edge support.
This will allow you to enjoy every moment of your sleep as it ensures there is no disturbance from movement from other people on the bed or rolling around due to slippage.
- The mattress is very comfortable and provides excellent support all night long, thanks to its unique design.
- It is durable, so it should last at least four years or so
- It is organic and allergen-free, so it’s very healthy to sleep on.
- It is very comfortable and provides a good level of edge support
- It is suitable for people who weigh more than 15 stone
- It’s a bit pricey, but it’s worth the money.
- Some people may find it a bit too firm for their liking.
4. HappyBeds Laytech Mattress With Non-Allergenic Natural Latex
The HappyBeds Laytech Mattress is built with superior quality natural latex, which is about 10cm thick. The mattress provides the perfect combination of comfort and firmness, making it ideal for almost anyone who wants to enjoy a good night’s sleep.
Industry specialists have designed it with years of experience to ensure you get an excellent level of comfort at all times.
It also uses non-allergenic natural wool that has been combined with slow recovery memory foam on top. This offers pressure relief as well as exceptional comfort while sleeping, allowing your body to contour itself ergonomically for maximum weight distribution.
Also, it comes with fire protection upholstery that protects you from harmful fire retardant chemicals.
- It has a unique combination of natural latex with memory foam, which means you get the best of both worlds when sleeping on this mattress.
- It is very comfortable, thanks to the efficient use of memory foam that ensures no disturbance from movement at night.
- Gives you an exceptional level of pressure relief while sleeping, regardless of how much weight you have.
- The mattress is very durable, which means it should last at least four years or more.
- It’s pretty expensive, but it’s worth the extra money for all of its features.
- It may be a bit firm in some areas for people with lower body weight.
5. Rest Assured Knowlton 2000 Mattress
The Rest Assured Knowlton 2000 is another excellent latex mattress that uses 100% natural British Dunlop latex.
It’s about 10cm thick and has a top layer of memory foam to ensure no disturbance from movement or other factors.
It also provides exceptional comfort while sleeping, which allows your body to contour itself ergonomically for better weight distribution.
This will help prevent aches and pains caused by pressure points throughout the night so you can be more refreshed upon waking up in the morning.
- The design of this mattress makes it very comfortable to sleep on, regardless of how much weight you have.
- Provides excellent pressure relief, which means you won’t keep being disturbed at night by movement or any other factors.
- Is very comfortable, thanks to the memory foam top layer.
- It’s durable and should last you at least three years or more.
- It is pretty expensive, but it’s well worth the money because of its excellent quality. You get what you pay for with this mattress.
- Takes up a bit more room than most standard mattresses due to its thickness.
What is a latex mattress?
A latex mattress is made up of natural or synthetic latex rubber. It doesn’t contain springs like traditional mattresses, so it’s very comfortable to sleep on.
Many benefits are associated with using a latex mattress, including pressure relief, durability, and hypoallergenic properties.
It can be challenging to find the best latex mattress that suits your budget and personal preferences because there are several different types available at various prices.
However, you should consider these top five choices before purchasing to help you decide which one is the best for you.
All of them are designed by experts to provide comfort and support all night long while remaining durable enough for years of use.
What is better about latex mattresses?
Latex is a versatile material that gives you the best of both worlds when it comes to comfort. It’s firmer than traditional foam mattresses and more flexible, which means you get relief without sacrificing support.
This mattress doesn’t contain springs like other types, making it better for your back and posture while sleeping.
You won’t have to worry about constant movement or being disturbed by other factors while lying down on this type of mattress.
Pros of latex mattresses:
- Latex provides excellent pressure relief because of its firm yet flexible properties.
- It has hypoallergenic properties, so it’s ideal for people who suffer from allergies or asthma.
- Some models are waterproof, so they can easily be washed if you have an accident in bed.
Cons of latex mattresses:
- You may feel overheated while sleeping on a latex mattress during the summer months because it doesn’t breathe very well. It would help if you looked for one that contains open cell technology instead, which allows air to circulate throughout the sleeping surface to help keep your body cool and comfortable all night long.
- They’re more expensive than most types of mattresses because they’re usually handmade with natural rubber material instead of synthetic foam or spring coils.
Aren’t latex mattresses dangerous / not fire retardant?
This false belief about latex is entirely untrue.
Latex is safe and natural, but it’s also highly flammable, which is why all mattresses that contain this material must pass a fire retardant test to ensure the sleeping surface doesn’t ignite easily.
Do latex mattresses have layers?
A latex mattress may have several layers, such as a waterproof one, pillow top (extra padding over the memory foam), and open-cell technology to help keep you cool during hot summer months.
Is latex a natural material?
Latex may be a natural material, but not all of them are entirely natural.
This mainly depends on whether or not the mattress has open-cell technology, which is made from synthetic materials.
Is latex better than memory foam?
Both latex and memory foam is very comfortable, but you need to know that latex is firmer than memory foam, providing more support.
Latex also has hypoallergenic properties, so it’s ideal for people who suffer from allergies or asthma.
However, if you like a soft and squishy mattress, you may want to go with memory foam because it’s softer and more flexible than latex.
This type of mattress can also help reduce joint pain better than latex because of its ability to contour around the body’s natural shape when lying down on your side or back.
Do latex mattresses ever sag?
If you want to avoid sagging, you should consider buying a latex mattress with open-cell technology because it allows air to circulate throughout the sleeping surface.
Also, look for an inner coil system that provides firmer support around the edges of the mattress.
Different Types of Latex Mattresses
Many latex mattresses that are worth considering include the following:
Natural Latex Mattresses:
A natural latex mattress is the best one you can get because it’s made with 100% natural latex that contains no synthetic materials whatsoever.
However, organic latex mattresses may be difficult to find in most mattress stores because of their high price tag.
Open-Cell Memory Foam:
This type of mattress may contain both memory foam and open-cell technology, so it provides maximum relief. Still, it also allows air to circulate throughout the sleeping surface, which helps keep you cool during hot summer months.
Synthetic Latex mattresses:
This type of mattress is a combination of memory foam/viscoelastic and synthetic latex that gives you the best of both worlds.
It provides maximum relief, durability, body contouring properties, and it’s also hypoallergenic.
This type is a combination of synthetic latex and natural latex.
It provides durability, body contouring properties, and it’s also hypoallergenic.
Dunlop latex vs. Talalay latex
Both types of latex mattresses are high quality, durable, and provide relief of pressure.
However, there’s a small difference in price so you should go with the one that you can afford to avoid overpaying for something that may not be what you really need or want anyway.
Dunlop latex is a type of latex that is similar to memory foam in that it’s made from natural or synthetic rubber.
A mattress with this type of technology provides a very firm feel but still has a high level of comfort and durability.
Talalay latex, on the other hand, is extracted from rubber trees using a very unique manufacturing process using air pressure.
This allows the mattress maker to produce higher quantities which lower unit cost, making them more affordable even though they’re typically more expensive than Dunlop latex-based mattresses.
Is A Latex Mattress Right For Me?
Latex mattresses are for people who want to sleep cool during the summer months.
Latex is naturally resistant to heat so it adjusts to your body temperature which helps regulate your body’s metabolism, blood circulation, and energy levels throughout the night.
How Sustainable Is A Latex Mattress?
Yes, latex is sustainable because it’s made from rubber trees which are renewable resources.
The only problem is that the process to make a mattress can be hazardous for workers so there might be some environmental impacts as a result of this.
Latex mattress smell how to get rid?
Unfortunately, when you open a new latex or memory foam mattress there’s going to be a chemical smell.
However, this is normal and the scent will go away after airing it out for several hours in a well-ventilated room.
How to choose a latex mattress?
When choosing a latex mattress you should look for the type that suits your needs and budget, but it’s also important to look for one that’s made from natural or synthetic rubber because it will be durable, comfortable, and provide maximum pressure relief.
Best latex mattress for your sleeping position
In order to find the best latex mattress for your sleeping position, you should go with one that has a firm feel and provides support all the way from your neck down to your lower back.
What is the best latex mattress for side sleepers?
Because side sleepers need additional pressure relief and support in the hips, shoulders, and neck to avoid pain when they wake up in the morning, a medium or firm latex mattress would be your best choice.
What is the best latex mattress for stomach sleepers?
People who sleep on their stomachs need a softer mattress that provides comfort all the way from their head down to their legs so it’s easy for them to breathe when they’re lying flat.
This means that you should go with a soft or medium-firm type of latex that has very good pressure relief properties.
What is the best latex mattress for back sleepers?
Back sleepers also need good pressure relief all around their body so they don’t experience any pains in the hips, shoulders, and lower back.
Because they also need a mattress that’s fairly firm so their spine is properly aligned when they wake up in the morning.
Best mattress for restless sleepers
If you’re a restless sleeper, then we recommend that you get either a medium-firm or firm latex mattress because this type of mattress does an excellent job of conforming to your body’s unique shape while you sleep.
Are latex mattresses good for allergies?
The good news is that latex mattresses reduce the number of dust mites and allergens in the air which means they’re great for people who suffer from allergies.
Are latex mattresses good for hot sleepers?
As we mentioned earlier, latex has a good heat-resistant feature which means it’s ideal for hot sleepers who tend to experience high body temperatures at night.
How can I have a cooler sleep with a latex mattress?
Because latex is resistant to heat and can adjust itself to different temperatures, you should try flipping your mattress over or rotating it every few months because this will allow the other side of the mattress to adjust.
Latex sleep accessories
If you want to sleep cooler at night, then you might consider getting a wool mattress pad because this type of material will regulate your body temperature while you’re sleeping.
Are latex mattress toppers any good?
Latex mattress toppers can be a good option if you want your latex mattress to feel softer.
However, you should realize that they won’t provide the same amount of support and comfort as an entire new latex mattress.
Are latex pillows any good?
Latex pillows are good for people who sleep on their stomachs or back because they provide additional neck and head support.
However, keep in mind that they’re not as long-lasting as memory foam pillows because latex doesn’t have the same type of shape recovery properties.
Latex mattress sizes
You should know that most latex mattresses come in a variety of sizes which include:
- Single size (3′ x 6.5′): This size is great for kids and can also be used as a daybed.
- Single XL (3′ x 7.5′): This size will provide additional room to stretch out on your back or side when you sleep.
- Double size (4′ x 6.5′): This is the standard option that works best for most adults who are married or live with their partners.
- Queen size (5′ x 6.5′): This is the most popular option among couples.
- King size (6′ x 6.5′): This size works best for people who have large bedrooms or sleep by themselves.
- Super Kingsize (6′ x 7′): If you live in a mansion, then this is the ideal choice because it provides more than enough room to stretch out on your back or side when you sleep.
How much do latex mattresses cost?
Latex mattresses UK are more expensive than innerspring but they last longer so you’ll eventually save money.
You should also keep in mind that they can be twice as expensive if you get them for free shipping.
The average price of a latex mattress is £900+ for a double mattress.
Alternatives to Latex
People who can’t afford a latex mattress might want to consider one of the following options:
Memory foam mattresses:
These types of mattresses have a more rapid response to pressure, so they work very well for back sleepers.
However, avoid this type of mattress if you’re a side sleeper because it doesn’t distribute your body weight evenly across the surface area.
Latex foam is often combined with memory foam, springs, or pocket coils to create a hybrid mattress. These types of mattresses are more difficult to find but they’re an excellent option if you want the best of both worlds.
Innerspring mattresses are good options for heavier individuals who want their spines to be properly aligned while they sleep on their sides.
They typically provide ample support and comfort but don’t offer any
Pocket sprung mattress:
A pocket sprung latex mattress is somewhere in the middle and has a unique pocket spring system that’s designed to provide even pressure distribution.
These types of beds use water as their main source of support and they’re typically very heavy, so you need to make sure that your floor can hold the weight before buying one.
They also take up a lot of space and are often noisier than other mattresses.
These are becoming more popular because they can help to keep you cool while you sleep.
This is good if you get really hot at night or suffer from night sweats, but be aware that they don’t always provide the same level of support as traditional memory foam mattresses.
These typically work best for people who have allergies or chemical sensitivities.
They’re good because they don’t contain any artificial materials, but you should know that they can be more expensive than traditional innerspring and memory foam options.
This type of mattress is similar to memory foam and will conform to the contours of your body while you sleep, so it’s a good option if you want something soft.
However, avoid this type of bed if you sleep on your stomach or it might not provide enough back support.
Caring For A Latex Mattress
You should know that latex beds are easy to maintain because they repel dirt and liquids, so you shouldn’t have any trouble keeping them clean.
If your mattress gets wet or stained then you can just wipe it off with a damp cloth before letting it dry in the sun for a few hours.
Keep in mind that you need to avoid using harsh chemicals on these types of mattresses because they can damage the material.
You should also rotate your latex mattress once every six months to make sure that it doesn’t sag or develop dents over time.
Latex mattress options are the best for people who want a supportive and comfortable bed.
They’ll keep your back aligned and they can provide the right amount of support no matter how you sleep.
However, be aware that they’re more expensive than the alternatives so you should set a budget before buying one.